Soooo you got something sparkly and beautiful for Christmas?! YAY! I am so so excited for you to begin the journey of planning your Wedding!
If you are like most brides, you are thinking “NOW WHAT?!” or you’re freaking out about all the things to do in the coming months!
Well I want to give you my top 5 things to do as soon as you get engaged (SPOILER! It has nothing to do with planning a Wedding! For that list, head over HERE)! I hope it will help you get going in the right direction.
- READ THESE BOOKS: Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs and The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Read them together or separately but read them! They have amazing insight into relationships and making marriage work! We are big fans of both of those books!
- TALK FINANCES: I don’t mean you Wedding budget. I mean, talk about the hard stuff…how you will combine your incomes. What do you expect, what does he expect, and how will you compromise? The last thing you want is to go into marriage with an unrealistic expectation and that end up being a source of resentment and frustration! This is a tough one but an important one! Click HERE for a great article on this!
- TALK FAMILY PLANNING: OK OK, I know! You JUST got engaged, and I want you to talk about babies! BUT have you ever talked about this? Maybe you have, but if you haven’t…this could be a huge issue down the road! If your spouse wants to have fewer or more children than you expect, its best to face that head on and begin the discussion early! My advice: Don’t just talk about a number. Discuss your why! Every person has an important and valid why, for their own reasoning on having children, how many to have, and when to have them. Hear each other out and hopefully you are on the same page! But if not, you have started the discussion early and you can work thru it together!
- JUST BE TOGETHER: Wedding planning is about to run yo life! And that is OK!! This is a season to be enjoyed and have fun with (REALLY! Have FUN planning your Wedding!). But remember that it is just one day you are planning. It is not your entire life. Be sure to take breathers, intentionally talk about something else once in a while. Sit together and enjoy being engaged! Watch a movie, have a nice dinner, go on a walk, talk about anything other than the Wedding. Click HERE for my post on great Date Night Ideas!
- PRE MARITAL COUNSELING: YES. I think every couple should go thru a time of pre-marital counseling! This does NOT have to be done by a licensed therapist, pastor etc. This can be a married couple that you really look up to, that are willing to meet with you at least twice a month if not weekly! We have had the privilege of walking thru this sweet time with a couple and I will tell you to see them have moments of clarity and feel more prepared to walk into a life with each other was so life giving for us! To have someone who is cheering you on, asking you the hard questions, there to mediate if necessary… it is not cliché, it is so good for you!